Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 10: My Hero Academia Review

I've read and watched a lot of stories about young people learning about what it means to be a hero and what they have to struggle with as being a hero and a teenager. The Spectacular Spider-man was great because it showed just how hard that life can be all alone. Young Justice was great because it showed that no hero, no matter how young, should be underestimated. Young Avengers showed just how hard the adult hero community can push back against young heroes. Avengers Academy showed how an older generation could teach newer generations. I love all of these shows, and when I heard some of the elements from those were in this new show call My Hero Academia I was interested. Now that I have caught up to the manga I can safely say it is my favorite out of all of them.

Plot:
A few generations ago something happened. People began to develop superpowers. As can be expected the world went crazy for a while with no form of government really being able to deal with it. It seemed like all would be lost if not for the HEROES! People with these "quirks" ended up stepping up to the plate and brought piece to the chaotic world. As time and generations passed Heroes and quirks have become an excepted part of society. It has become so well integrated that not having a quirk is a rarity. Only 20% of the world's population does not have a quirk. Part of that 20% is Izuku "Deku" Midoriya. Despite this Deku still wants to go to U.A. High School (the top hero school) to become a hero. Thankfully he gets his break when he ends up meeting and impressing the greatest hero in the world All Might. So much so that All Might gives his powers to Deku. Now Deku, along with his class, must learn all the tricks of the trade to become the next generation of heroes.

Their is a lot to like about this book. The characters in my opinion are some of the most likable high school kids I've ever seen in an anime, and to my biggest surprise they are all getting time to shine, and for their powers to be fleshed out. I thought Fumikage was just going to be a bird headed background character, but to my surprise he's been given a nice bit of stuff to do. The manga is still young, so a lot of people outside of the main cast haven't been fleshed out a lot, but I'm confident that all of these characters will become very deep over time. But even with how little we have of some of them they are all still well defined, and I enjoy them all. All but Minoru. I really don't like him.

I find the action so much fun in the book. Deku's power is basically a One Hit K.O. punch that breaks his arm whenever he does it. So he has to be smart, and wait to use his strength at the right time. I also never thought being able to cause explosion would be so versatile, and that's just one example. The superhero battles are like many good superhero battles. They win not by simply over powering, but by being smart and clever with their powers.

 My favorite part of this whole series is actually how hopeful everything is. The big superhero that Deku idolizes, All Might, isn't some corrupt man whose just in it for the fame and money. He really is a man who wants to be a symbol of peace for all. The school also doesn't just teach how to fight. It also talks about the importance of helping people. The government and the hero community are separate, but still have respect for each other. Heroes are not feared by the public at large, but loved by them because they help others. But what I find is the most important thing is that the adult heroes talk a lot about the importance of self sacrifice. The idea that being a hero isn't about fighting villains. It is about helping people.

I watched the first 9 episodes of the show and then went straight to the manga after that. I got hooked on it so quickly. I love this so series so much. I now really want to read this book and the younger heroes of the DCU (basically Nightwing and younger) in a cross over together. I can't wait until the next chapter. It gets my full recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment